Most Viewed Stories
Porterville students shine at Tulare County Science Fair
Porterville-area students fared well at the 28th Annual Tulare County Science and Engineering Fair held Feb. 28 to March 1 in Visalia.
Of the approximate 150 entries, numerous local and area students won ribbons and plaques in several areas, said Rob Herman, spokesperson for Tulare County Office of Education.
Seven science projects, five of them from Porterville, were selected by a panel of judges — taken from more than 50 engineers, science educators, meteorologists, physicians, and practicing scientists — to represent Tulare County at the 2013 California State Science Fair in Los Angeles.
Advancing to the state finals are: Madison Meredith, Monache High School; Mikayli Moore, Summit Charter Academy; Elyssa Lawrence, Harmony Magnet Academy; Rosemary Chapman, Westfield Elementary; as well as the team of Katie Land and Marvia Cunanan, also from Westfield Elementary.
Madison Chapman of Jim Maples Academy was named a state alternate.
Other awards won by local and area students include:
- Botany — Ingrid Cross, Katie Land, Marvia Cunanan of Westfield Elementary; and Steven Wilson of Springville Union Elementary.
- Earth and Space Sciences — Alexis Woods and Felicity Wynn, Westfield.
- Environmental Science — Mari Sanders, Westfield; Elyssa Lawrence, Harmony Magnet Academy; and Meredith Madison, Monache High School.
- Medicine and Health — Adrian Remigio, Johnjairo Baeza, Meera Kashyap and Ryan Rusch, Westfield.
- Microbiology and Biochemistry — Elena Galvez, Granite Hills High School; Mikayli Moore, Summit Charter Academy Lombardi; and Cole Sanders, Springville Union Elementary.
- Physical Science — Celia Romero, Burton Middle School; Rosemary Chapman, Westfield.
- Product Testing and Materials — Madison Giannetto, Summit Charter Academy Lombardi; Glessilda Cabanban, and Ethan McCombie, Burton Middle School.
National Weather Service Champion Award
- Danielle Borromeo, Burton Middle School, environmental science “The effects of acid rain.”
- Emily Edwards, Jim Maples Academy, environmental science “Watts up with evaporation?”
Community Choice Award
- Davin Cole, fourth grader at Summit Charter Academy Lombardi, won Best Presentation for “Speakers” in the category Product Testing and Materials Science.
Top 30 Sweepstakes — individual and teams
- Burton Middle School — Ethan McCombie; Glessilda Cabanban.
- Granite Hills High School — Antonio Martinez; Ali Wright and Roberta Simpson; Melissa Martinez, Berenice Tapia and Christina Medina.
- Harmony Magnet Academy — Elyssa Lawrence.
- Jim Maples Academy, Madison Chapman.
- Monache High School — Madison Meredith.
- Springville Union — Cole Sanders; Steven Wilson.
- Summit Charter Academy Lombardi — Mikali Moore; Madison Giannetto
- Westfield Elementary — Rosemary Chapman; Katie Land and Marvia Cunanan; Ridge Schorling and Caleb Melo; Mari Sanders.