Gas leak stopped before residents, school evacuated
TERRA BELLA — An unidentified individual working with a backhoe was responsible for a large gas leak that had Tulare County Fire Department ready to evacuate Zion Lutheran School and all homes within a mile radius of the leak Friday morning in Terra Bella.
According to Denise King, spokeswoman for Southern California Gas Company, the person damaged a meter and the yard line running from the meter to the back yard, situated in the 10100 block of Road 256 in Terra Bella.
“As soon as we were notified, we went and shut off the gas service to the home,” King said. “We are also checking the soil in the surrounding area.”
The call was received at 10:30 a.m. and the gas was shut off shortly after, she said.
The homeowner was not home, King said, but the yard line will need to be replaced by the homeowner before service is restored to the home.
An office representative at Zion Lutheran School said a fire fighter went to the school to inform them to evacuate the school. However, before any evacuation started, the school received notification that the gas line had been secured.