Carbon monoxide detectors now required in apartments, duplexes
As of Jan. 1, multi-family dwellings such as apartments and duplexes, were required to have carbon monoxide detectors installed.
The law went into effect July 1, 2011, for single-family homes, and will affect hotel and motel units come Jan. 1, 2016.
Carbon monoxide, commonly referred to as the silent killer, is an invisible, odorless gas that can kill a person within minutes at sufficient levels. It is the leading cause of accidental deaths in the country, killing approximately 500 people each year.
Experts estimate that equipping a home with a carbon monoxide detector could cut accident-related costs by as much as 93 percent.
The recent change in California’s Health and Safety Code, known as the Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act of 2010, states that an owner of a dwelling unit intended for human occupancy must install a carbon monoxide device.
Installed CO devices must be approved and listed by the State Fire Marshal and are required in each existing dwelling unit having a fossil fuel burning heater or appliance, fireplace, or an attached garage.
The Porterville Fire Department advises that carbon monoxide detectors be installed outside of each sleeping area in a dwelling unit and should be installed on every level, including the basement. The devices should not be installed directly above or beside fuel-burning appliances, as appliances may emit a small amount of carbon monoxide upon start-up. A CO device should not be placed within fifteen feet of heating or cooking appliances or in or near very humid areas such as bathrooms. The CO unit may be battery-powered or a plug-in type with battery back-up, or wired into the dwelling’s electrical system with battery back-up.
For rental properties, carbon monoxide devices must be installed and maintained by the landlord of a dwelling unit intended for human occupancy.