Most Viewed Stories
Ready, Set, Register
Kindergarten registrations near
Schools in the area have scheduled kindergarten pre-registration. However, now is the time to complete any required testing, including a state-required dental assessment for kindergartners, a physical examination required prior to a child entering first grade and the completion of required immunizations.
In accordance with the Kindergarten Readiness Act, students reaching the age of 5 on or before Dec. 2 can enroll in kindergarten. Students reaching the age of 5 between Oct. 2 and Dec. 2, will be enrolled in a transitional kindergarten program, which is a two-year program. Children reaching age 5 by Oct. 1 or earlier, will be enrolled in traditional kindergarten. Parents who do not enroll their children during the formal registrations, should call their respective schools for further direction.
Birth certificates and immunization records are required at the time of registration.
The immunizations required by law prior to a child enrolling in school include:
- A minimum of three IPV (oral polio vaccine) and four DPT (diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus) if both are given after the 4th birthday. However a child is fully immunized with four IPV and 5 DPT, regardless of the age which last dose was received.
- Two MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) administered after the first birthday.
- A current PPD (mantoux) tuberculin skin test and results.
- Three doses of hepatitis B immunization are required for kindergarten entry.
- One dose Varicella (chickenpox vaccine) or health care provider-documented varicella disease or immunity.
Registration for entry into kindergarten at local schools will be held as follows:
Burton School District:
- Summit Charter Academy, Lombardi, Feb. 27.
- Summit Charter Academy, Mathew, Feb. 28.
- Burton Elementary, March 5.
- Oak Grove Elementary, March 6.
- William R. Buckley, March 8.
All registrations will take place from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. If an Intra-District Attendance Agreement, a transfer between the primary schools within the district, is needed, it can be completed on the day of enrollment provided there is room at the receiving school. Students must be registered at the school of their residence.
For more information, call the childâ€™s respective school or the district office at 781-8020.
Strathmore Union Elementary School:
- Strathmore Elementary School â€” 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. March 5, auditorium.
Pre-school, transitional and traditional kindergarten registration will be held. Children are eligible for Pre-school if they turn 3 or 4 years of age on or before Oct. 1.
For more information, call 568-2118 or visit the school office at 23024 Avenue 198 in Strathmore.
Porterville Unified School District:
- Los Robles â€” 8:30 to 11 a.m. and 1 to 3:30 p.m., April 3, school cafeteria.
- West Putnam â€” 8:30 to 11 a.m. and 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., April 5, office.
- Olive Street â€” 8:30 a.m. to noon and 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., April 9, cafeteria.
- Monte Vista â€” 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., April 10, cafeteria.
- Belleview â€” 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 to 3:30 p.m., April 19, cafeteria.
- Roche â€” 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 to 3:30 p.m., April 23, library.
- Vandalia â€” 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. and 1 to 3 p.m., April 24, cafeteria.
- John J. Doyle â€” 8:15 to 11:30 a.m. and noon to 3 p.m., April 25, cafeteria.
- Santa Fe â€” 8 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m., April 26, cafeteria.
- Westfield â€” 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., April 30, Room 1.
The dual immersion kindergarten at Santa Fe is not transitional kindergarten. Students must be 5 years of age on or before Oct. 1 if applying for enrollment in Dual Immersion Kindergarten. For questions regarding pre-registration, call Val Staley, assistant superintendent of instruction, at 793-2452.
Small school districts:
- Citrus South Tule â€” 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. March 1; School office: 784-6333.
- Hope Elementary â€” 3 to 6 p.m. March 26; School office: 784-1064.
- Rockford Elementary â€” 8:30 a.m. April 9 for children with last names starting with letters A to L., 9:30 a.m. for letters M to Z; School office: 784-5406.
- Terra Bella Elementary â€” 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., April 10; School office: 535-4451.
- Alta Vista Elementary â€” 8:30 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m., April 19; School office: 782-5700.
- Lindsay Unified â€” Date pending. Call the school district at 562-5111 for more information.
- Ducor Elementary â€” Date pending. Call the school at 534-2261 for information.
- Woodville Elementary â€” Date pending. Call the school at 686-9713 for information.