Pets rescued, occupants safe after house fire
Residents and two pets are safe after a late-night fire caused minor damage to a Porterville home.
The incident happened just after 10:50 p.m. Wednesday in the 100 block of North Wisconsin Street. Crews with the Porterville Fire Department responded to a report of a structure fully involved with fire, with all occupants outside.
Arriving crews found a two-story house with flames coming out of the second story. Firefighters made access to the second story and completely extinguished the fire by 11:07 p.m.
Occupants said that a pet turtle and snake where still inside the house. A search team was established and the pets were rescued from the fire unharmed, the PFD reported.
The PFD responded with two engines and a battalion chief vehicle and 12 personnel. Tulare County provided mutual aide with one engine and four personnel.
Nobody was injured as a result of the fire, and total damage was estimated at around $5,000.
The fire was caused by an electrical short produced by an extension cord.
There were no smoke detectors inside the house.
The PFD reminds citizens of the importance of owning and maintaining smoke detectors.