Elderly woman safe after fire
Porterville police officers helped an elderly woman to safety after a fire broke out at her house.
The incident happened at about 4:30 a.m. Wednesday in the 1000 block of West Grand Avenue. The Porterville Police Department reported that officers were the first on scene and were told by one of the occupants of an elderly woman on oxygen still inside.
Officers entered the smoke-filled house and found the woman, who was in a rear bedroom. She was helped outside to safety.
When the Porterville Fire Department arrived, firefighters found a single-story house with light smoke showing. The fire was contained to the inside wall by the front door.
Damage to the house was estimated at $1,000.
The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental, as a result of an electrical shortage, the fire department said.
All occupants in the home were unharmed.