Proposed amendment to Measure R focus of meetings
The Tulare County Association of Governments staff will present to city councils in February and March, including Porterville and Lindsay, proposed changes to Measure R fund disbursements. TCAG will be seeking public input on the changes.
Mesure R is the county-wide half-cent sales tax to generate money for transit projects, including trails and bike paths.
The Porterville meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 12 and the Lindsay meeting for March 12.
The meetings will focus on the Clean Air category (transit, pedestrian paths, bikeways). It may be amended because projections indicate that additional revenue may be available.
Each city and the county has had the opportunity to request funding for additional projects.
“Deciding how to spend this projected additional funding requires an amendment to the plan that voters approved,” explained Ted Smalley, executive director of TCAG. “So, input from the residents of Tulare County is required in order to change it.”
Public meetings will be held:
- Monday, Feb. 11, 6:30 p.m., Woodlake City Council, Woodlake City Hall, 350 N. Valencia Boulevard.
- Tuesday, Feb. 12, 5:30 p.m., Porterville City Council meeting, Porterville City Hall, 291 N. Main St.
- Tuesday, Feb. 26, 5:30 p.m., Dinuba City Council meeting, Dinuba City Hall, 405 E. El Monte Way
- Monday, March 4, 4 p.m., Visalia City Council meeting, Visalia City Hall, 707 W. Acequia Ave.
- Tuesday, March 5, 7 p.m., Tulare City Council meeting, Tulare City Hall, 411 E. Kern Ave.
- Tuesday, March 12, 6 p.m., Lindsay City Council meeting, Lindsay City Hall, 215 E. Honolulu.
Through the process of public presentations, TCAG staff is also working to develop a policy on how to handle future amendments to the Clean Air category. This process will also help clarify, and establish policies for future use of Measure R funds for projects already in the “Regional Projects” category of the Expenditure Plan.
For more information, call TCAG at 623-0450 or go to www.tcmeasurer.com.